History of Union Church
In Patrick County Virginia
In Smith River Association


Return to Garland Hall home page
In one place I find Union Church organized 1815. The first record begins as follows:

Saturday, November 17, 1821. Then met brethren Jesse Jones, John Conner and Peter Howard as a presbytery and divine service constituted the church of Christ at Union meeting House in Patrick County, Virginia, consisting of the following male members: Brethren John Washborne, John Foster, Richard Massey, William Welden, Jeremiah Burnette, Randolph Cox, Nicholas Grimmet, James Ingram, William Turner, Frances Cox, Alexander Ingram, 11 male members. Sisters Jane Turner, Selah Handy, Martha Ingram, Elizabeth Ingram, Jane Cox, Elizabeth Burnett, Margaret Walden, Susanna Foster, 8 females. Total, 19 members.

Brother Stephen Hubbard was chosen pastor of the church and consented to serve. On the same day received brother John Turner by experience; later we find John Turner served as clerk. December, 1823. Elders Jesse Jones, John Conner, Nathaniel Thompson, Joshua Adams and Stephen Hubbard, ordained brother John Washborne to the ministry. In April 1824 John Washborne was dismissed by letter. No record of him after this could be found. In March, 1823 brother George Prilliman joined here. Later he served as clerk. In 1825 Elder Burnette was dismissed by letter in 1827 and went to Jack's Creek. From here to Center where he was ordained to the ministry in 1834. Served Center as pastor until his death in 1873. In 1824 the ordination of John Turner for the ministry was called for. the record not clear. In 1825 John Turner was dismissed by letter. Nothing more was found of him in the record. Robert Tudor served as clerk. After the death of Elder Hubbard in 1833, Elder Joshua Adams was elected moderator. Brother Flemming Via joined in April, 1835. He was the first member baptised by elder Adams after he became pastor. Same year September. Mary Corn (later wife of Flemming Via) joined and was baptized by Elder Adams. These are the parents of sister Adaline Via, who is now nearly 93 and a worthy mother in Isarel, for more than forty years. She is the widow of Deacon W. A. Via; both joined in 1908.

In April, 1860 Elder Peter Corn joined here; was baptized in April by Elder Adams. Brother Corn was licensed to preach in 1868, ordained to the ministry in 1870, dismissed by letter in 1873. In 1861 Martin Wright and Nancy Wright, his mother, were baptized by Elder Adams. Brother Wright was a liceniate and died at a ripe old age, a worthy member of Charity Church. Elder W.R. Radford, a member here, was ordained in 1866. He lived to a ripe old age and died in the faith, a member of Charity Church. In October 1865, Elder A. J. Cassel was chosen pastor, Elder Jeremiah Burnett, assistant pastor. In 1867, Elder Thomas L. Roberson baptized sister Adaline Via, wife of Isaac Via. Isaac Prilliman joined here in 1867. George Prilliman served as clerk in 1871 with A. J. Cassel, Moderator. In 1882, brother P.A. Cahill was baptized by Elder W.R. Radford, and was licensed to preach in 1884, ordained in 1886, began serving this church as an assistant pastor 1890.

After the death of Elder A. J. Cassel in 1901, Elder Cahill was chosen pastor and served faithfully until his death in 1923. Isaac Ingram served as clerk or assistant clerk in 1888. Deacon George T. Helms was made clerk in 1892. Isaac Ingram, also James Ingram were mentioned as clerks. In May 1900 -Brother John W. Bryant was made clerk. Deacon F.W. Prilliman was baptized in 1900, chosen deacon in 1906. Brother George W. Lackey, a member here, was ordained to the ministry in 1910. dismissed by letter in 1939. The present pastor, Elder E. R. Bryant, was baptized in 1908, licensed to preach in 1912, ordained 1915, chosen pastor in 1923. In 1911 Brother J. J. Wright was chosen deacon, made clerk in 1923, served as long as he lived. In 1937, Deacon W. A. Via was made clerk. In 1940, Brother R. E. Carter was baptized, chosen deacon in 1943. After the death of Deacon W. A. Via, he was also chosen as clerk.

Sister Pearl Shelton has been the efficient clerk. Union Church has sent arms to Republican, Knob, and Riverside Churches where all were organized as sovereign, independent churches.

Your brother and servant,
J.G. L. Hash